Arsenal only club to apologise for Super League shambles before Liverpool owner John Henry releases video to say sorry

ARSENAL were the only one of the Premier League's 'renegade six' clubs to say sorry to fans for their part in the money grabbing Super League ploy on Tuesday.

The rest released derisory dismissive statements, although Liverpool's owner John Henry has come out and apologised since – with the Reds releasing a video message from the American on Wednesday morning.

The Gunners joined their greedy counterparts in backing out of the close shop franchise league on Tuesday night. And the North Londoners were the only ones who could bring themselves to say sorry for the universally unpopular scheme straight away.

Chelsea were the first to break ranks after fans gathered outside Stamford Bridge to voice their anger, with Manchester City following soon after.

Then Tottenham, Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal all announced they were quitting the project hours later.

Arsenal's was the longest original statement and the key section read: "As a result of listening to you and the wider football community over recent days we are withdrawing from the proposed Super League.

"We made a mistake, and we apologise for it."

Liverpool's original offering stretched to just two measly sentences before American Henry's video message Wednesday morning.

It said: "Liverpool Football Club can confirm that our involvement in proposed plans to form a European Super League has been discontinued.

"In recent days, the club has received representations from various key stakeholders, both internally and externally, and we would like to thank them for their valuable contributions."

FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN SIGN UP OFFERS HERE

MORE ON SUPER LEAGUE OUTRAGE

  • European Super League in TATTERS as ALL six Prem clubs quit
  • Three days of chaos – the rise and fall or European Super League
  • Ed Woodward quits Man Utd amid furore
  • PICTURED: How it began with secret meeting at Dorchester
  • PICTURED: Fans celebrate dramatic U-turns – but clash with Chelsea legend Petr Cech
  • PICTURED: Neville and Carragher toast Super league's demise
  • THE SUN SAYS: Super League has united just about everyone in outrage
  • LIVE BLOG: The latest European Super League news and updates



Henry eventually elaborated on the message which may go some way to repairing the relationship with supporters. But fans are unlikely to forget the club's attempt to furlough staff last year before performing ANOTHER U-turn.

In a video message posted on Liverpool's social media accounts, Henry addressed the camera and said: "I want to apologise to all the fans and supporters of Liverpool Football Club for the disruption I caused over the past 48 hours.

"It goes without saying but should be said that the project put forward was never going to stand without the support of the fans.

"No-one ever thought differently in England. Over these 48 hours you were very clear that it would not stand. We heard you. I heard you.

"And I want to apologise to Jürgen, to Billy, to the players and to everyone who works so hard at LFC to make our fans proud.

"Again, I’m sorry, and I alone am responsible for the unnecessary negativity brought forward over the past couple of days."

On the same night Man Utd announced Ed Woodward will leave the club at the end of 2021, the Red Devils posted a blase message of their own.

The short statement read: "Manchester United will not be participating in the European Super League.

"We have listened carefully to the reaction from our fans, the UK government and other key stakeholders.

"We remain committed to working with others across the football community to come up with sustainable solutions to the long-term challenges facing the game."


After their director and legendary former goalkeeper Petr Cech begged protesting fans to disperse outside Stamford Bridge, Chelsea said: "As reported earlier this evening, Chelsea Football Club can confirm that it has begun the formal procedures for withdrawal from the group developing plans for a European Super League.

"Having joined the group late last week, we have now had time to consider the matter fully and have decided that our continued participation in these plans would not be in the best interests of the Club, our supporters or the wider football community."

Arsenal's North London rivals Tottenham – who weren't even invited to the league under initial plans which SunSport revealed in 2016 – came close to saying sorry but couldn't quite eek the word out.

Maybe it's the £1billion stadium they've just built with the Super League in mind but chairman Daniel Levy could only manage 'regret' rather than a full blown apology.

Spurs said: "We can confirm that we have formally commenced procedures to withdraw from the group developing proposals for a European Super League (ESL)."

Levy said: “We regret the anxiety and upset caused by the ESL proposal.

"We felt it was important that our club participated in the development of a possible new structure that sought to better ensure financial fair play and financial sustainability whilst delivering significantly increased support for the wider football pyramid.

“We believe that we should never stand still and that the sport should constantly review competitions and governance to ensure the game we all love continues to evolve and excite fans around the world.

“We should like to thank all those supporters who presented their considered opinions.”

And Man City – who are said to have signed up reluctantly – typed 25 words. And four of them were the club name.

Their to the point statement read: "Manchester City Football Club can confirm that it has formally enacted the procedures to withdraw from the group developing plans for a European Super League."

Read our Football live blog for the very latest news from around the grounds

    Source: Read Full Article