David Ortiz Shooting: Six Suspects Detained, Authorities Say
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic — Six suspects, including the alleged gunman, have been detained in the shooting of the former Red Sox star David Ortiz, the Dominican Republic’s chief prosecutor said Wednesday.
A seventh individual was also being pursued by the authorities in the shooting, which witnesses said was carried out by two men on a motorcycle and two other groups of people in cars.
The prosecutor, Jean Alain Rodríguez, spoke at a news conference on Wednesday, and the authorities gave the name of the alleged shooter as Rolfy Ferreyra, also known as Sandy.
The director of the national police, Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte, said at the news conference that the coordinator of the shooting was offered 400,000 Dominican pesos, or about $7,800, to carry out the crime.
Bautista declined to provide a motive for the shooting but said that the man suspected of being the coordinator was one of the six who had been detained.
Prosecutors have said the two men on the motorcycle were seen on security camera footage talking with other people in a gray Hyundai Accent and in another Hyundai in a nearby street before the shooting at a popular Santo Domingo bar on Sunday night.
Ortiz was transported to Boston on Monday. His wife said in a statement on Wednesday that he was able to sit up and take some steps as he recuperates in the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital.
“His condition is guarded, and he will remain in the I.C.U. for the coming days, but he is making good progress toward recovery,” Tiffany Ortiz said in the statement.
Dominican prosecutors said in a court document that one of the suspects, Oliver Moisés Mirabal Acosta, had been seen driving the Accent before mounting a motorcycle driven by 25-year-old Eddy Vladimir Feliz García.
“In one of the videos it was possible to observe both the accused and the shooter planning the commission of the incident right on Octavio Mejía Ricard Street, which is parallel to the place where the event took place,” prosecutors said in the court document.
The document said Feliz García, the driver, was captured after he skidded and fell off his bike as the two tried to flee. An enraged group of people captured Feliz García and beat him severely before handing him over to the police.
Mirabal Acosta was captured Tuesday night in Mao, in the northern Dominican Republic.
Feliz García’s lawyer said his client, who has been charged with being an accomplice to attempted murder, is an innocent motorcycle taxi driver who had no idea his passenger was going to commit a crime.
“He didn’t know what they were going to do. He’s a fan of David’s,” the lawyer, Deivi Solano, said Tuesday.
The 43-year-old Ortiz frequently travels to Santo Domingo, where his father and a sister live. Ortiz has been active on the social scene there, hitting nightspots with friends who included television personalities and Dominican reggaeton musicians.
Beloved in his hometown, Ortiz traveled the dangerous streets of the Dominican capital with little or no security, trusting his fans to protect him, according to friends.
The Dominican Republic is one of the world’s most dangerous countries. The murder rate stands at 12.5 killings per 100,000 people, placing the Dominican Republic in the top 10 to 15 percent of the most violent countries in the world, according to the United States State Department.
Source: Read Full Article