Dillian Whyte losing to Alexander Povetkin in rematch would be 'terminal' for his world title ambitions, says Hearn

DILLIAN WHYTE has been warned by Eddie Hearn that a second defeat to Alexander Povetkin could be “terminal” for his world title ambitions.

The British heavyweight ace, 32, was KO’d by the 41-year-old Russian last month.

But Whyte has the chance to exact revenge in a rematch on November 21.

Whyte had been the WBC mandatory challenger before his defeat to Povetkin.

Winning the rematch is sure to reinstate him as No1 to face Tyson Fury while also securing the WBC interim title.

But promoter Hearn claims that a second defeat to Povetkin is sure to spell the end of Whyte’s chances to face The Gypsy King.

Hearn told Sky Sports: “All of a sudden, the pressure is not just on trying to become the mandatory and fight Fury.

“This is the pressure of his career on November 21.

“Controlling the fight, a brutal knockout, and all of a sudden like that, his career spins on its head.

“He’s hugely motivated to put this right, but it’s extremely dangerous and of course, moving into the rematch, just 13 weeks after the first fight is very, very dangerous.

“But Dillian Whyte wouldn’t have it any other way.

“I think [defeat] is terminal for his world title chances – and that’s obviously the ultimate aim for him. I think he knows the pressures.

“He was deeply disappointed with getting knocked out from an amazing bit of skill from Povetkin and he’s got to put that right.

“Povetkin and his team are ready to go. They don’t see a problem. They’ve knocked him out once, they think they’re going to do it again in November.

“A very confident Povetkin, and all of a sudden, all of the pressure lies on the shoulders of Whyte.

“The winner will be WBC mandatory, it’s just when that’s called. I know that Whyte will be pushing that as hard as he can, but it’s just about getting that victory.

“If he gets that victory, his world title shot will come, and really that’s all that matters.”

Source: Read Full Article