Suarez says phone celebration not aimed at Barcelona boss Koeman despite call telling him Nou Camp spell was over
LUIS SUAREZ has revealed the true reason behind his phone celebration and dismissed claims it was aimed at Ronald Koeman.
The striker, 34, made a phone gesture with his hand and put it to his ear after scoring against former club Barcelona on Saturday.
Atletico Madrid won 2-0 with Suarez also grabbing an assist, but he did not celebrate his goal – deciding to make the phone gesture instead.
That sparked a discussion with some claiming it was a reference to a phone call between Koeman and Suarez – when the Dutchman informed Suarez he would not be part of his plans shortly after taking over at the Nou Camp.
But Suarez, who left shortly after that conversation, denied he was digging out his former boss.
He told Movistar: "(The celebration) was for the people who know I have the same number, so they know I'm still on my phone.
"It was something I had agreed on with my kids. It was not for Koeman, not at all."
But Suarez has made no secret of his pain at the manner of his Barcelona exit.
FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS
He claims there is no bad blood between him and Koeman, but a revelation in February explains why many assumed the phone gesture was a reference to the under-pressure Barca boss.
Suarez told Onda Cero earlier this year: "When Barcelona told me that they did not count on me it was hard, I did not expect it.
"They were very difficult moments because of the manner (in which it happened).
'Koeman called me and told me that I was not in his plans. When Barcelona made it official that they did not count on me, conversations began with Atleti, with Cholo (manager Diego Simeone), and with (CEO) Miguel Angel.
⚽ Read our Football news live blog for the very latest rumours, gossip and done deals
Source: Read Full Article