Dominic Cummings gets £50k unpaid council tax bill for two homes ‘written off’

The chief adviser to the Prime Minister is facing backlash after reports he will not be required to pay £50,000 in council tax he owes.

Dominic Cummings and his family owe between £30,000 and £50,000 in council tax after building two homes on their farm without planning permission, reports Metro.

Mr Cummings and his sister's homes in North Lodge received a series on complaints in June, prompting a planning investigation.

His home was built with his dad in 2002, however council tax for the property has been waived because a substantial amount of time has passed, according to Durham County Council.

Officials from the council revealed council tax will instead be paid for Mr Cummings' band A cottage, and his sister's band C home from October 4 this year.

Speaking to The Northern Echo, Durham County Councillor John Shuttleworth said the decision to waive the tax showed Mr Cummings was above the law.

He said: "They should have informed them (the authorities) and it should have been checked.

“If it was anybody else, they would be getting charged and it would be backdated, or they would be getting taken to court.

“It just proves there is two sets of rules, one for them and another for everyone else. It is not right.

  • Dominic Cummings 'spotted on second lockdown trip' as witnesses complain to police

“We have to abide by the law and it we don’t you get put in prison or you get fined. They are just above it.”

Dominic Cummings was slammed earlier this summer after allegedly breaching lockdown rules.

The Tory adviser drove 260 miles with his wife, who had symptoms, and son to self-isolate at his parents’ home on March 27 at the height of the lockdown.

During their two-week stay the family took a day-trip to Barnard Castle, 30 miles away, on April 12, which he later claimed was to test his eye-sight.

But in an extraordinary press conference in the No 10 garden, the top aide denied claims by a member of the public that he was in Durham on April 19, saying he had photos and data on his phone to prove it.

Source: Read Full Article