Ebola SPREADS: First case outside DR Congo emerges in Uganda as threat rises
A five-year-old child is being treated after arriving from the Democratic Republic of Congo, which is facing an outbreak, earlier this week.
The World Health Organization (WHO) said in a statement yesterday: “This is the first confirmed case in Uganda during the Ebola outbreak ongoing in neighbouring Democratic Republic of the Congo.”
The young boy was taken to hospital and transferred to Bwera Ebola Treatment Unit for management.
Congo’s health ministry said on Monday that it had recorded 2,062 cases, including 1,390 deaths, since the epidemic began in August.
Neighbouring Uganda has suffered regular outbreaks of Ebola over the years.
In preparation for new cases, Uganda has vaccinated nearly 4,700 health workers, disease monitoring has been intensified, special treatment units set up and health workers have been trained to recognise symptoms of the disease.
Uganda’s worst Ebola outbreak was in 2000 when 425 people were infected and more than half of them died.
More to follow.
Source: Read Full Article