Parents of missing girl, 17, charged with murder
The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox
The mother and father of a missing teenage girl have been charged with her murder.
Bernadette Walker, 17, of Peterborough, was reported missing by her parents on July 21 after she had not been seen for three days, Cambridgeshire Police said.
The Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit has been carrying out searches to try to find her and launched a "no-body" murder investigation on Friday. Her parents were charged with her murder on Monday.
Sarah Walker, 37, and 50-year-old Scott Walker, both of Century Square in Millfield, Peterborough, are due to appear before a court virtually on Monday. They have both been remanded in custody.
Detective Superintendent Jon Hutchinson said: "Whilst my team have made significant progress with this investigation in the last few days, we are yet to find Bernadette.
"Therefore my plea is for anyone who has information on what has happened to her, or where she might be, to get in touch as a matter of urgency."
Bernadette's parents previously said they had not seen her since she ran out of their car in July, and her mum said she last heard from Bernadette when she received a text at 1am on July 20 saying she'd be home soon.
Today it emerged that her parents were the two who had been arrested after police confirmed over the weekend that they had detained a male and female.
A statement from the force yesterday said: "Detectives investigating the murder of a teenage girl from Peterborough have made a second arrest.
"A woman in her 30s from Peterborough was arrested yesterday evening (Saturday 12 September) on suspicion of the murder of 17-year-old Bernadette Walker.
"Bernadette was reported missing from Peterborough on 21 July by her parents after she had not been seen for three days.
"Police have been carrying out enquiries and searches in an attempt to locate Bernadette, however an investigation has now been launched into her murder.
"Detectives from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit declared the case a ‘no-body’ murder investigation on Friday (11 September).
Detective Superintendent Jon Hutchinson said on Sunday: “Due to the length of time Bernadette has been missing and concerns she may have come to some harm, we made the decision to declare this a murder investigation.
- In the News
Source: Read Full Article