Police monitoring Italian illegal rave as it continues 5 days after Londoner, 25, dies

Coronavirus restrictions: Laurence Fox joins London protests

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

A 25-year-old man, born in London but resident in the north of Italy, was found dead in a lake near Viterbo Monday after taking part in a huge rave party straddling the borders of Tuscany and Lazio at the weekend. The illegal rave was organised via Telegram and went undetected by the authorities.

Sources say around 5000 people are still in the area now surrounded by police.

Several cars left the area this morning. Hundreds of people have reportedly left the party last night.

All the cars that are leaving the area are being checked by the police as officers guard the main entrance.

Musicians playing for the huge even, meanwhile, are showing no sign of stopping with stereo systems in full swing.

The seemingly controlled techno music festival has already seen one person dead and two reports of sexual violence confirmed by the police.

The body of the 25-years-old man was found in Lake Mezzano.

He had been seen going into the lake Sunday night and not coming out again.

Police and firefighters dragged the lake before finding his body.

READ MORE: Jacob Rees-Mogg issues severe warning to EU over Northern Ireland

Police officers are negotiating with the organisers of the illegal festival to come to a non-violent solution.

Large gatherings are still banned in Italy under coronavirus restrictions.

The illegal party is therefore sparking outrage across the country but the police chief in charge of the operation, Gerolamo Lacquaniti, says he wants to avoid unnecessary and risky violence to dismantle the area.

He said: “We are aware that the images of Viterbo appear to be a slap in the face of the situation we all live in, but, from a technical and operational point of view, it is right to underline that other solutions contain concrete risks of much worse damage.

DON’T MISS:
EU shamed as France, Germany and Greece fear migration crisis [REACTION]
Brexit LIVE: Economist dismantles Remainers’ ’empty shelves’ claims [LIVE BLOG]
Nigel Farage warns Dominic Raab of terror threat [VIDEO]

“The persuasion of the Public Security Authority has led, to date, to the removal from the area of about 1,500 subjects.

“The private (non-public) land, as well as being particularly large, has been occupied by dozens of trucks and sees the presence of thousands of people.

“In addition, there is dry vegetation, which is easily flammable.

“In a scenario of this type, the intervention would envisage a use of force which should take into account the risks associated with the movement of heavy vehicles in the crowd.

“In addition, the use of tear gas can lead to fires with dramatic outcomes.”

Italy reported 54 coronavirus-related deaths on Tuesday against 24 the day before, the health ministry said, while the daily tally of new infections increased to 5,273 from 3,674 .

Italy has registered 128,510 deaths linked to COVID-19 since its outbreak emerged in February last year, the second-highest toll in Europe after Britain and the eighth-highest in the world. The country has reported 4.45 million cases to date.

Patients in hospital with COVID-19 – not including those in intensive care – stood at 3,472 on Tuesday, up from 3,334 a day earlier.

There were 49 new admissions to intensive care units, up from 32 on Monday. The total number of intensive care patients rose to 423 from a previous 404.

Some 238,073 tests for COVID-19 were carried out in the past day, compared with a previous 74,021, the health ministry said.

Source: Read Full Article