Woman, 32, shares pictures of her torched garden after BBQ accident

Mother-of-two, 32, shares horrific pictures of a barbecue accident which left her garden engulfed in flames – after she used LIGHTER fluid to start it up

  • Mother-of-two Chloe Caudery, 32, struggled to start a barbeque on Thursday
  • She used lighter fluid in order to stoke flames but the flammable liquid ignited
  • Ms Caudery threw away the burning can, which then engulfed her shed in a fire 
  • She shared images of the aftermath of the blaze in Bellingdon, Buckinghamshire

A woman who accidentally torched her garden shed with lighter fluid in a barbeque accident has shared images of the damage.

Mother-of-two Chloe Caudery was terrified when the blaze broke out at her home in Bellingdon, Buckinghamshire, on Thursday, April 21.

The 32-year-old was having trouble starting up her barbeque so used lighter fluid which she says ignited after flames ‘sucked back into the can’.

The cleaner quickly panicked, thinking that the burning liquid would explode in her hand so threw it away.

The flaming can hit Chloe’s shed before exploding and setting the entire wooden frame on fire.

Mother-of-two Chloe Caudery was terrified when the blaze broke out at her home in Bellingdon, Buckinghamshire, on Thursday, April 21

The 32-year-old was having trouble starting up her barbeque so used lighter fluid which she says ignited after flames ‘sucked back into the can’

Chloe Caudery, 32, panicked thinking that the burning liquid would explode in her hand so threw the can away – causing her shed to go up in flames

The fire then spread across the garden, damaging fencing, a BBQ, a tumble dryer, freezer, toys, a pergola and parts of the house’s guttering.

Fire crews arrived just 12 minutes after and managed to extinguish the flames.

Chloe has issued a warning on social media about the dangers of lighter fluid while saying she has learned her lesson from the incident.

She shared images showing the aftermath of the fire including the completely scorched garden area.

Other images show family possessions completely destroyed by the flames.

Posting on Facebook on Friday, April 22, she said: ‘Please take care while using your barbecues this summer.

‘I’m usually alright, but yesterday was terrifying. I used barbecue lighter fluid to get it going as I didn’t have any stuff to hand like kindling.

‘The fluid went back into the bottle, I panicked and chucked it.

‘It hit the shed and bang and here is the devastation.

‘It was lucky I moved my car out of the way as things started to explode.’

The flaming can hit Chloe’s shed before exploding and set the entire wooden frame on fire

The barbeque area was left completely gutted by the blaze

The post received over 1,100 likes and hundreds of comments from shocked viewers.

One said: ‘Wow, I’m so glad to see you’re safe and the damage was localised to around the BBQ area and didn’t spread. I guess the life lesson here is never to squirt lighter fluid onto a lit BBQ.’

Another wrote: ‘How scary, I have always been afraid to use lighter fluid and it stinks so badly.

‘We use natural firelighters which I still panic about but they burn out by themselves. So glad everyone is ok.’

A third commented: ‘Oh my goodness, you are so lucky to all be ok. I’m never putting fluid on a lit BBQ again.’

Yet another person added: ‘Never squeeze fluid when lit for this very reason and always have the BBQ away from everything else, especially fences and sheds.

‘Glad you’re all safe and a horrible lesson to learn this way.’

The fire spread across the garden, damaging fencing, a BBQ, a tumble dryer, freezer, toys, a pergola and parts of the house’s guttering

Fire crews arrived just 12 minutes after and managed to extinguish the flames

Ms Caudery said: ‘It was truly terrifying. I was screaming on the phone to the fire crew saying, “it’s going in the house!”‘

Speaking today, Ms Caudery added: ‘The barbecue wouldn’t light so I put barbecue lighter fluid on it.

‘With the suction it’s gone back into the bottle, I panicked and threw the bottle onto the shed, it burnt the whole shed down, six fence panels and the pergola.

‘It was horrendous. It’s just so upsetting, I’m gutted. It lasted 12 long minutes.

‘It was truly terrifying. I was screaming on the phone to the fire crew saying, “it’s going in the house”.

‘If they didn’t get here when they did, it was about to go onto the roof.’

Source: Read Full Article